Applications & Scholarships
Students apply to Columbia Climate School in the Green Mountains directly through Putney Student Travel’s Online Application. Admission is selective. The organizing committee will look for exceptional and highly motivated high school students (and driven rising 9th grade students) who are eager to participate in climate action in their communities.
HOW TO APPLY
Students who wish to apply and hold space in a program must complete the Online Application Form, submit a signed Agreement Form, and provide a $700 payment, consisting of a $200 Application Fee and a $500 Enrollment Deposit. The $500 Enrollment Deposit is applied toward your total program fee.
We will require the following documents to be submitted with your application:
- Completed online application form
- Non-refundable $200 application fee
- $500 enrollment deposit to hold-space in the program
- A signed Agreement Form
- The contact information for two references.
- At least one reference must be a teacher/instructor who knows you from an academic setting, the other can be written by someone who knows you in an extracurricular setting, such as a part-time job, sports team, after-school club, etc. No letters from parents or friends are acceptable.
- Personal Statement
- A short statement outlining your interest and/or experience in climate activism, how this program supports your climate journey and goals, and what you are hoping to gain from this program. 500 words maximum.
High school students grades 9-12 and motivated rising 9th grade students are welcome to apply. Any rising 9th grade student (completing 8th grade this academic year) should continue the pre-filled application info indicating 'High School' when applying to Columbia Climate School Summer Pre-College programs through the blue buttons above.
These programs have a rolling admissions process and applicants will be accepted until a program fills to capacity. You are encouraged to apply early to secure your spot.
- If a student is not accepted into the program, the $700 deposit is returned in full.
- If a student is accepted into the program, but withdraws their application before March 15th, they will receive the $500 enrollment deposit back.
- If a student withdraws after March 15th, all payments are nonrefundable.
Scholarship opportunities are made possible by the Columbia Climate School. The Columbia Climate School provides full and partial need-based scholarships for students to join the Columbia Climate School Summer Pre-College Programs.
Full vs. Partial Scholarships
A full scholarship covers the entire cost of the program fees, plus round-trip travel to and from the student’s home address, and a small amount of spending money for excursions. A partial scholarship covers half of the cost of the program fees, plus round-trip travel, and a small amount of spending money for excursions.
Students who meet the following eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply for a Scholarship:
- Current 9-12 grade student (motivated rising 9th grade students will be considered)
- Currently reside in the United States
- International students, including U.S. students living abroad, are not eligible to apply
- Origin of flight or travel to program should be from student’s home address in the USA
- Meet/Consider income eligibility guidelines (per Adjusted Gross Income [AGI] as shown on Line 11 of the standard Form 1040 US Tax Return):
- Full Scholarship Financial Eligibility Guidelines
- Up to 4 Person Household (combined annual income): Up to $60,000.00
- More than 4 Person Household (combined annual income): Up to $90,000.00 Annually
- Partial Scholarship Financial Eligibility Guidelines
- Up to 4 Person Household (combined annual income): Up to $90,000.00 Annually
- More than 4 Person Household (combined annual income): Up to $120,000.00 Annually
- Please note: Scholarship applicants must be prepared to share proof of financial eligibility through a copy of your household tax return Form 1040. If your income is over the eligibility guideline recommendations and you have extenuating circumstances that you would like the Selection Committee to consider, families will be able to include this information on the scholarship application.
- Full Scholarship Financial Eligibility Guidelines
- Have a passion for climate change
- Show a demonstrated interest in climate advocacy
- Submit a complete scholarship application (information and required materials below) no later than March 15, 2024. In order to maintain the equity of the scholarship process, late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Apply
Please note that if you are applying for a scholarship, you should not start a regular program application. To complete your scholarship application, please complete the 3 items listed below. The online scholarship application is a Google form that the student should complete. The educator reference link (also a Google form) should be forwarded to an educator who is able to provide a recommendation for the scholarship candidate. The 2024 Putney Student Travel Agreement Form should be completed by a parent/guardian. A complete application consists of:
1. Completed 2024 Online Scholarship Application
2. Two completed Educator Reference Form
Students MUST send the link to the Educator Reference Form to their educators for completion, see URL for copy & paste here: https://forms.gle/1jFytr3JMGtW17aV7)
At least one reference must be a teacher/instructor who knows you from an academic setting, the other can be written by someone who knows you in an extracurricular setting, such as a part-time job, after-school club, etc. No letters from parents or friends are acceptable.
3. Financial Documents
Copy of parents’ or guardians’ most recent federal tax returns (fiscal year 2022 or 2023) Form 1040 and/or verification of non-taxable income (social security income, disability benefits, TANF, child support, etc.). Financial documentation from all contributing households is required. If the 1040 Tax Form submitted verifies income eligibility, no further documentation is required unless requested by the selection committee. This portion of the application must be sent by post mail to:
Columbia Climate School Summer Programs Scholarship
345 Hickory Ridge Road
Putney, VT 05346